Friday, June 19, 2015

In Susie's Kitchen: Cheesy Enchilada Rice


I think it's time for me to be put on a Mexican food timeout. I think about chips and salsa all day and I have dreams about enchiladas. And margaritas. Always margaritas. So since I have been on such a Mexican food kick, I decided to start trying out my own (easy) Mexican dishes for dinner! This one was crazy easy and, not to toot my own horn, pretty darn good. I hate leftovers, and I ate all of these leftovers. All. Of. Them.
So like I said...dreams about enchiladas. Except I don't actually want to have to put forth the effort to make enchiladas right now so...an enchilada rice skillet that takes 25-30 min tops? My kind of enchiladas. 

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 lb chicken (I used frozen shredded chicken)
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup onion (I used frozen onion!)
  • 1 can of sweet corn, drained
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup mild enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 cup green enchilada sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 packet of taco seasoning
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • small bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
  • tortilla chips (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
Cooking instructions:

  • In a medium pot, boil 1.5 cups of water, then then add rice and simmer on low for about 20 minutes (could be different depending on instructions on package).
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet on med. high and add garlic, onion and chicken. Cook until chicken is browned (3-5 min).
  • Stir in corn, black beans, rice, enchilada sauces, cumin, and taco seasoning. Let sit on med. low for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until heated through.
  • Remove from heat and top with cheese, cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips (optional) and sour cream (optional).
Enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. The quality of your blogs and conjointly the articles and price appreciating. ianshoes.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog and nice article shared in it. Shoes

    ReplyDelete